Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I did it!

So, I did it.   I didn't think I could.  I'm pretty sure many of my loved ones thought I had bitten off more than I could chew.  And, I did.  But, thanks to a grandpa who was a dentist, I have fabulous teeth and can chew and chew forever (which is, at times, kind of how it felt working on this thing).  But, now the needles are down, the arthritic feeling in my hands is going away and I have a new sweater to wear!  Of course, it's a little too warm here now - 90 degrees is not exactly knit-sweater weather - but in just 3 short months, I will be styling in my homemade, handknit cardigan.
Now, I learned a few things on this bumpy road to knitville, and because I'm such a giver, I'm going to share with all of you so you don't have to repeat my mistakes ... or at least so we can commiserate together. These are in no specific order, just the way my brain has thrown them my way.

  • When knitting a pattern, read through it fairly carefully.  If you don't recognize terms or symbols, ask someone, go online and research.  Do something other than think "it's ok ... I'm sure it'll make sense when I get there."  Because it won't. In fact, by the time you get there, you're gonna be almost too frustrated to go on, because inevitably what you should have understood was necessary about 10 rows prior to when you finished.
  • If the pattern specifies by length, not by row numbers, don't stretch your knitwork out so you can 'be done with that part of the pattern.'  This is, of course, up to you ... you may be a person who enjoys habitually pulling down the back and sides of your clothing so they sit right.  I'm not so much.
  • See the above, because if you think blocking it and stretching it will work, you're wrong.  Very wrong. And then it will be too late to go back and add a few rows.  Well, ok, I'm sure it's never too late for some of you who are really really fabulous at knitting. But, if you are fabulous at knitting, you're probably not reading my blog unless it's for kicks and giggles.
  • Take breaks and stretch those hands periodically, because when you grip a tall, heavy glass of water and try to bring it to your lips, it can be very very messy if your hands are all cramped up from two or three hours of knitting.
  • Don't get so engrossed in the film you're watching while knitting that you forget to count.  Count stitches, rows, whatever.  Do it, because unraveling is very stressful when you've been so diligent at a lovely lace pattern and now you've added a few holes where they shouldn't be.
So, are you amazed after that list that I managed to knit at all, let alone finish a full sweater?  Well, lest you consider me a liar ...


Ta da (imagine fanfair and trumpets ... confetti if you like).  I'm quite proud of it.  Sure, there are a few things I'd do different the second time around, but I wouldn't know those things if I hadn't tried it.  The point is, I did it.  I set my mind to it, only set it down a few times, and each time I picked it up and kept going. And voila ... a sweater. Yay!

So, I wonder what's next in my hobby jar ... here goes nothing.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment